Looking to start or advance your career in publishing? Check out these sites for news, insight and trends in book publishing:
- Association of American Publishers (AAP) newsroom: http://newsroom.publishers.org
- Digital Book World: www.digitalbookworld.com
- Illusion of More (blog): http://illusionofmore.com
- Mediabistro: www.mediabistro.com
- The New York Times Bestsellers: www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/overview.html
- Publishers Lunch: www.publishersmarketplace.com/lunch/free
- Publishers Weekly: www.publishersweekly.com/pw/home/index.html
- Scholarly Kitchen: https://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org
- Shelf Awareness: www.shelf-awareness.com
- USA Today Bestsellers: https://www.usatoday.com/life/books
- Young to Publishing Group: http://youngtopublishing.com
AAP’s Young to Publishing Group provides insight and advice on working in the publishing industry.
- Acing the Interview: Tips for Young Publishing Job Seekers
- Ask the Recruiters: HR Panel Recap Part II
- Climbing the Ladder — Is it Easier to Get Promoted in Editorial or Marketing?
- We Still Need Diverse Books
- The Day-to-day Life of a Publishing Graduate Student
- The Importance of Being Connected: How to Make and Maintain Industry Contacts
- Mentorships: The First Step to Career Success
- Spotlights and Soundbites: Academic Custom Publishing
- Taking Your Career to the Next Level: HR Panel Recap
- Top Five Best Things about Working in Higher Education Publishing
- YPG Spotlight: Digital Books Assistant Producer
- YPG Spotlight: A Day in the Life of Managing Editorial
- YPG’s Town Hall Discusses Career Transitioning
The YPG is open to employees with less than eight years of industry experience who work full-time at an AAP member publishing house.
New articles appear regularly and can be found here: http://youngtopublishing.com/category/articles.
The Twitterverse provides useful info on what people are reading and writing, updates from publishing houses, and comments about the industry from the people who work in it.
Here’s a list of twitter accounts of AAP member publishers: https://twitter.com/AmericanPublish/lists/aap-members
Here are Twitter handles for book reviewers, journalists and bloggers that write about publishing: https://twitter.com/AmericanPublish/lists/writing-about-publishing
Hashtags commonly used by publishing houses and authors include: #amwriting, #amreading, #copyright, #publishing, #ThisIsPublishing